|Science Discovery Garden|
|Show me a panoramic view in QuickTime VR [220k]|
|The Science Discovery Garden showcases new varieties created by our own MSU researchers in the Departments of Horticulture, Crop and Soil Sciences, and Botany. One of the things the scientists do in the buildings that surround the Gardens is to create new cultivars through research for our better living. For example, a Mullein plant is growing here. This is an experiment started by W.J. Beal in 1879 to learn how long weed seeds will live. He buried seeds in bottles. The Mullein seeds grew after 100 years! This is the world's longest seed longevity experiment.|
Other plants here in the Science Discovery Garden:
- Carrot 'Spartan Premium', developed by MSU Horticulture.
- Celery, a salt tolerance experiment by Dr. Wayne Loescher, MSU Horticulture Department.
- Corn 'Silver Queen'. This was the first plant experiment in outer space! Dr. Robert Bandurski, MSU Department of Botany.
- Turf, developed by Dr. Troy Rogers, MSU Crops and Soils Department. Played on in the Silverdome at the World Cup Soccer Games.
- Canola, under research by Dr. Larry Copeland, MSU Crops and Soils Department.
- Lavender 'Munstead'
Developed by Dr. Milo Tesar,
MSU Crops and Soils Department
These Zinnias were developed by Dr. Lowell Ewart,
MSU Department of Horticulture
Asgrow Soybeans and Corn
Biotechnology at work:
Scientists have developed these Asgrow "Roundup Ready" soybeans to resist the weed killer called Roundup. Farmers spray Roundup on weeds that are in the field with soybeans. The weeds die, which allows the soybeans to grow better. Then Roundup disappears safely in the soil. Soybeans are used as food for you in bread, candy, pancakes, doughnuts, and tofu. They are also used in animal food and making ink.
Also pictured is Asgrow Hybrid Corn. Corn is a high quality source of everyday carbohydrates. It is used as food for you in cornmeal, tortilla chips, and tacos. Corn is also used as animal feed for chickens, pigs, and cows.
Previous Garden | Next Garden
Pot O' Gold
A: Sunburst Area |
B: Amphitheater Area |
C: Rainbow Area |
D: Treehouse Area |
E: Butterfly Area | F: Pond Area | G: Maze Area | H: Chimes Area |